More than 25,000 fireworks were recently recalled by a store in Indiana following an explosion this spring that cost a 12-year-old boy his hand.
In March, two boys in Oxford, Ohio, found the broken end of a Talon rocket and lit it. The subsequent explosion hospitalized Caleb Bogan, who now has a prosthetic hand. Investigators found the rocket had been sold by Grandma’s Fireworks in West College Corner, Indiana, leading to the store recalling 18 different varieties of fireworks sold over the last decade.
‘Overloaded With Pyrotechnics’
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recently announced four different recalls of nearly 38,000 fireworks. Besides Grandma’s, these recalls involve stores in Michigan and Pennsylvania.
The commission coordinated the recalls because these fireworks were “overloaded with pyrotechnics” that can result in a greater-than-expected explosion. All the recalled products were manufactured in China.
According to the CPSC, 2018 saw an estimated 9,100 firework-related injuries that were treated through emergency care. More than 60 percent of these injuries happened in the month around the Fourth of July. Sparklers account for more than half of estimated injuries for children under 5.
At least five people were killed by fireworks last year. In one case, an 18-year-old attempted to launch a mortar from a tube on his head. The ignited shell exploded without launching and the teenager died in the hospital the next day.
Image by Pexels.