600 Dulany Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
The Department of Commerce’s Internet Policy Task Force (Task Force), led by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), is planning a series of public meetings to further the discussion of certain issues of copyright policy in the digital economy.
The Task Force’s Green Paper on Copyright Policy, Creativity, and Innovation in the Digital Economy (Green Paper), released on July 31, 2013, identified the following topics on which the Department would conduct more work:
- the legal framework for the creation of remixes;
- the relevance and scope of the first sale doctrine in the digital environment;
- the appropriate calibration of statutory damages, in the contexts of individual file sharers and of secondary liability for large-scale online infringement;
- improving the operation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act’s (DMCA) notice and takedown system; and
- how the government can facilitate the further development of a robust online licensing environment.